GSK China partners with Ali Health to launch innovative online service platform to improve adult vaccination consultation experience
15 August 2017
Platform to cover 1500 community healthcare service centres nationwide by year-end
Today, GSK China and Ali Health jointly announced a strategic partnership to launch an innovative adult vaccination service system. The system will include online disease education and consultation, online HCP appointment booking, and deliver convenient online-to-offline (O2O) end-to-end service for users. Moreover, community healthcare service centres nationwide can utilise this platform to manage vaccination enquiries and requests. This will help enhance efficiency at the centres and help reduce costs and workload, thus optimising public healthcare institutions’s resources. By year-end, the platform is expected to cover 1500 community healthcare service centres in more than one hundred cities nationwide, including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Hangzhou, Nanjing and Wuhan.
As living standard improves, people’s approach of healthcare has been gradually shifting from "disease treatment" to "disease prevention". However, there is still a lack of adequate disease prevention awareness among the general public, including knowledge of the means and pathways of disease prevention. For example, many adults are not fully aware of the government’s immunisation programmes that are available to them, or which healthcare institutions offer disease-preventing vaccination services. Innovative adult disease prevention service was created to cater exactly to this large unmet need.
From now on, users will be able to access the platform by opening the Taobao app on their mobile phones, and access the service by clicking “My Health” under “My Taobao”. On the platform, they can receive professional online disease education information, consult with professional HCPs and “smart bots”, and look up vaccination information at community healthcare service centres. In addition, they can choose, at their convenience, their preferred time to visit a community healthcare centre nearby for face-to-face vaccination service consultation.
This service system is the beginning of a partnership between the two companies, starting with cervical cancer prevention and vaccination consultation services. In the near future, GSK China and Ali Health will continue to collaborate in pediatric and broader adult vaccination services.
Wang Lei, President of Ali Health, stated, “Ali Health is dedicated to providing users with fair, inclusive and accessible healthcare services by harnessing the power of big data and internet technologies. GSK is a world-leading multinational pharmaceutical company and a pioneer in combining its pharmaceutical expertise with Ali Health’s internet technologies. Once GSK’s professional disease education and preventive healthcare expertise is combined with Ali platform’s user resources and technical strengths, the 500 million active users on Ali’s platform who are willing to upgrade their healthcare quality will definitely be able to enjoy innovative disease prevention and vaccination consultation services that are more professional and more convenient.”
Thomas Willemsen, General Manager, GSK China Pharmaceuticals and Vaccines, said, "As a leader in the global healthcare and vaccines industry, GSK has always been committed to enhancing public access to innovative vaccines and disease prevention solutions, which is also an integral part of our strategy and commitment to be ‘in China, with China, for China’.
“ ‘Healthy China 2030’ stipulates that developing internet-based healthcare services has become part of China’s national healthcare strategy. Through our strategic partnership with Ali Health, a pioneer in online healthcare services and O2O healthcare, we are confident that together we can deliver innovative and convenient disease prevention knowledge and service to China’s grassroot disease prevention system and the people of China.”
As part of the ‘in China, with China, for China’ strategy, GSK China has:
- Announced innovative antiretroviral?Single Tablet Regimen Triumeq received approval in China in Aug 2017.
- Announced Cervarix, first vaccine for cervical cancer prevention in mainland China, was officially launched in July 2017.
- Announced the collaboration programme to aid hepatitis prevention and treatment in poverty-stricken areas of the western region in July 2017.
- Announced Seroxat CR and Tykerb on the list of reimbursed drugs as results of the national health insurance negotiations in July 2017.
- Announced a strategic partnership with academia to co-develop health big-data system and upgrade the management of respiratory diseases in June 2017.
- Aided the National Preventive Vaccination Services and Management Training Programme, helmed by the Chinese Preventive Medicine Association under the guidance of the National Health and Family Planning Commission, with the support of the China Centre for Disease Control and Prevention that officially kicked off in June 2017.
- Announced Viread, Arixtra, Requip and Mivacron included in the “2017 National Reimbursement Drug List” in Mar 2017.
- Joined hands with the Home of Red Ribbon to combat HIV/AIDS, unveiling plan to support people living with HIV in Nov 2016.
- Announced the strategic partnership with China Preventive Medicine Association (CPMA) to address major public health challenges in China in Nov 2016.
- Announced the approval of Cervarix in China to help protect women from cervical cancer in July 2016.
- Announced a Memorandum of Understanding between the GSK Institute for Infectious Diseases and Public Health and Tsinghua University to tackle global public health challenges in June 2016.
- Launched Tivicay, an innovative HIV drug, in June 2016.
- Participated in the national price negotiation pilot and announced a price reduction of our first line chronic hepatitis B treatment, Viread, by up to 67% in May 2016.
- Announced a Beijing-based Institute for Infectious Disease and Public Health to conduct local development programmes for pivotal HIV and TB R&D assets in March 2016.
- Partnered with the National Health and Family Planning Commission on a multi-year programme to fund independent training programmes in Hepatitis and COPD for over 13,000 healthcare professionals from September 2015.
- Formalised a partnership with Shanghai-based Desano Pharmaceuticals to locally manufacture the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient for Tivicay (dolutegravir) in July 2015.
- Transformed our commercial operating model to actively contribute to improving the quality of scientific exchanges with healthcare professionals for the benefit of patients since May 2015.
GSK – one of the world’s leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies – is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.? For further information please visit www.gsk.com.
GSK commitment to China
We are a science-led global healthcare company. We research, develop and manufacture a wide range of medicines, vaccines and consumer healthcare products. People are at the heart of what we do. We strive to bring high quality, high performing products to everyone who needs them. Creating innovative products and improving access to them is critical to our mission, allowing us to help build stronger, healthier communities. In China, and around the world, we are on a mission to help people do more, feel better, live longer. We are in China, with China, for China, and our commitment remains unwavering.
Alibaba Health Information Technology Limited
As the healthcare flagship of Alibaba Group Holding Limited (“Alibaba Holding”, together with its subsidiaries, “Alibaba Group”), Alibaba Health Information Technology Limited (the “Company”) and its subsidiaries (the “Group”) have been committed to developing Internet technology and establishing a service ecology platform to provide industry partners with technical capabilities such as big data, cloud computing, artificial intelligence and Internet of Things, as well as service capabilities such as operational, quality control and customer service capabilities.
Now, the Company concentrates on developing pharmaceutical e-commerce, product tracking system services, intelligent medicine, and health management businesses.
Our Mission: making good health achievable at the fingertips.
Our Vision: facilitating medicines through big data and using the internet to change the face of healthcare, to provide fair, affordable and accessible medical and healthcare services to 1 billion people.
GSK contact: Susan Song?????????????? firstname.lastname@example.org (China)
Ali Health contact: Shang Gao??? ?email@example.com
Cautionary statement regarding forward-looking statements
GSK cautions investors that any forward-looking statements or projections made by GSK, including those made in this announcement, are subject to risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results to differ materially from those projected. Such factors include, but are not limited to, those described under Item 3.D 'Principal risks and uncertainties' in the company's Annual Report on Form 20-F for 2016.